Friday, August 05, 2005

feeling somewhat clever

Well, I'm sitting here at work. For those of you who don't know, I work on my college campus in the computer labs.

In this particular lab, there are two machines for the employees. One is a brand new Dell profile PC that's pretty spiffy looking. The other one is a dilapidated PowerMac G4. It is slower and uglier than the Dell. Plus, it's a Mac. So, no one wants to use it. No one but me that is.

In September, I will have worked in these labs for 2 years. Exciting, huh? No, I didn't think so either.

However, over the past two years, I have been forced to learn how to use Mac OS X. Now, I used to hate Macs. Currently, I have fallen in love with Apple.

So, I am one of the only computer lab employees who actually enjoys using the somewhat outdated machines. Yet, I have found an even better reason to love these machines.

My roommate works with me as well. However, he is one of the Mac techs. There are three people on campus that have a password to a certain computer's iTunes library, the two Mac techs and me. Thus, if I use the Mac machine instead of the brand-spanking-new Dell, I can listen to all my music at work, without draining my iPod. This is quite a beautiful thing.

This morning, our favorite iTunes library was not available when I logged in to the employee Mac. So, I deftly walked downstairs to the office where the Mac techs work. No one was in the office. So, I found the machine with my music on it, but it had no mouse.

I quickly snatched a mouse from another computer and plugged in where I needed it. I quickly opened iTunes and minimized it to the system dock and plugged the mouse back to where it should be. I turned and quickly went back to the desk where I was supposed to be.

So, I'm feeling a bit clever. The reality of it is actually pretty lame. I opened iTunes on a computer, so I could listen to it on another computer. Big deal, Joe. You're a regular secret agent now...

5 comments:

r.fuel said...

The important thing is not what you did, but how you did it. You were sneaky, and covered all your tracks. You're like James Bond, just with less international intrigue. And fewer sex-hungry models. And no BMWs or Aston Martins with rocket launchers, machine guns, and ejection seats. And no regular BMWs or Aston Martins, either.

Joe Fuel said...

so James Bond sans all the cool things about James Bond.

Anonymous said...

James Bond sans everything that everyone loves about James Bond may be more to the point . . . much more secret. But it was a magic moment nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

this magic moment...

[insert "anonymous'" cool musical notes]

anaglyph said...

The important thing you did is... realise how fantastic Mac OSX is. Aaagggh, now people with throw plastic bottles at ME when I'm on my bike...