Friday, April 21, 2006

Where should I start?

As the semester is drawing to an end, I am becoming more and more... er... upset with my plant physiology professor. You see, I have to take this class for my degree. But the problem is that this woman seems to have no idea that she is a complete moron. "Why?" you ask?

Behold, some of the evidence.

1) At the beginning of the semester, we were forced to purchase an outline complete outline of the lectures we'd have to suffer through for the next 5 months. Everytime she begins a new topic, she lists the chapter it corresponds to in our book (we'll come back to that one) as assigned reading. Today we started "Plant Growth and Development." In the notes is the following:

READ: CHAPT. 16 - Don't have to read
Huh? Anyone else see a contradiction here?

2) The book. Oh sweet mother, the book. The NMSU bookstore had a total of 12 copies. There are 34 people in the class. There's a slight numbers problem there. Oh, and it happens to turn out that the book she wants us to have is out of print because the publisher has decided to update it. But, the updated version is not yet available. And, well, try as I may, I can't find any online store that has the book in stock. I think that pretty well covers that one.

3) Her math makes no sense. That's a problem, as a certain physics major/fellow blogger might be able to back me up on. Normally, math is so logical that I can follow it pretty well. Even calculus. I understand it. I reallly do. Her math? No effing idea how she's got our grades averaged out. Seriously, the highest grade I've made on any of our three tests was a 79. Somehow, I have an 87.5 average. I'm not really going to contest that average with her, but I am a bit perplexed.

4) Her tests. The highest grade anyone has ever had on one of her tests is a 92. These tests make no sense. In all sincerity, I have done best on the questions that I don't understand. Those are the questions when I've pulled something semi-appropriate out of my a-- just so that I don't leave a question blank. And those are the questions I've done the best on. Consistently. No, I don't understand how that's possible either.

5) Her grammar. Seriously, this woman has no idea how to properly and consisely phrase a question. She has no idea when to use specific punctuation marks. And, as I will demonstrate, she just throws random phrases into her question to make them... I don't know... sound more intelligent...? Maybe...?

This question is pulled off a test review sheet. Observe.
Describe in words how and where fatty acids are synthesized in plants?

First of all, a period is the only punctuation necessary. I promise. Secondly, "in words?" What the hell? You mean I can't describe this to you via interpretive dance?!? Third, doesn't a "description" require words? Describing something in a drawing is generally called, hm.... sketching. And I just can't think of any other possible way to describe fatty acid synthesis.

I submit to you, a question (of sorts) of my own. It is, of course, a bit satirical. But, it should illustrate my point rather well.

Sketch, with lines, a solute's path through the xylem from source to sink?*

....

I think I've made my point here. But I'll leave that decision to you, my wonderful friends.

------------
*Note the use of the question mark. She has given us many similar "questions" and still does not seem to understand proper punctuation.

------------
Daily Ditty:
Jamie Cullum - Well You Needn't

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sketch, with lines, a solute's path through the xylem from source to sink?

That would be easy. Draw a picture of a beaker with the solute, and a line with an arrow to the sink. Voila!