Thursday, May 11, 2006

Finally

Tomorrow every will be done with finals around these parts. The truth is that I've been free from classes since Monday afternoon. I know what you're thinking, why haven't I posted anything?

Well, maybe you aren't thinking that, maybe you don't care. In either case, I'm going to explain myself.

The minute I finished my Arabic final, I was put to work at, well, work. There are a number of things that we have to accomplish in a very short period of time.

We are relocating a large portion of the campus cable network into our office. That has taken most of our time this week. If you aren't aware of what I'm talking about, let me clarify. We aren't talking about simply moving some boxes from one office to another. We are taking 10, count 'em 10, seven-foot "racks" and moving them from one office to another. It isn't just that easy though. We have to take every piece of equipment housed in these racks out of their comfortable digs, label all the wires running to these many, many components, move the racks to their new homes (individually, of course), pull the wires that we've labeled through the walls and dropped ceilings, rearrange the displaced equipment in the newly-relocated racks, plug in all the cables properly, and (more than likely) troubleshoot.

Troubleshoot is a word unknown to most Mac users, but I'll elaborate. When something goes wrong and it must be fixed, troubleshooting is the process by which a person discerns every possible component that could be malfunctioning and eliminates each of these components to find the source of the problem.

Case in point, if I'm running sound for a band and the lead singer's voice isn't coming through the speakers, the following is what I would do to troubleshoot the problem. First, I would check the levels of the gains, equalizers, mute button, and faders on the soundboard. If that doesn't work, the problem could be the microphone, the cable on running from the microphone to the "snake," the channel on the snake, or the channel on the board. So, I would then plug the microphone into another channel on the board.

No dice. Change the channel on the snake. Still nothing. Swap out the cable running from the microphone to the snake. Nothing. Check the microphone. It is at this point that I would probably notice the power switch on the microphone... Flick the switch and (knowing my luck) the problem is solved.

All that was to say that I've been busier than a one legged man in an a.. kicking competition. And that's why I haven't posted.

Good night.

-------------------
Daily Ditty:
Snow Patrol - Shut Your Eyes

No comments: